Friday, September 8, 2023

BOTB September 2023 Battle Results

 


Contenders and votes for the September Battle of the Bands

Song:  The Letter

Joe Cocker - 2

Richard Marx, ft. Hugh Jackman - 6 + 1 = 7


It's not a misprint, folks. It really is the same results as last month, 7 - 2! Richard Marx is more of a surprise than I initially thought. 

True, he was a little slow off the mark, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well Marx (and Jackman) represented a song rumored in some circles to have been performed in a gravel pit by a cement mixer, albeit (to be fair) with an impressive amount of human emotion. Considering the lyrics, the song itself deserves some emotion, I think.

I have to admit, I was even more surprised (and secretly pleased) that so many of you preferred Richard Marx ;-) Here’s one where he really shows off his emotive skills:





I’m off to see how the other battles did. Hope you do the same!





6 comments:

  1. As you will see when you visit my Battle outcome, yours was a bit lopsided, but not as bad as my own.
    Cocker had a classic hit with his version, but I never understood that. Early on I wasn't very impressed with Cocker though as time on he did win me over some. Never enough to buy any of his albums though.

    I think your final results are appropriate.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that the Joe Cocker rendition was a big Top 40 hit, this voting outcome really comes as a surprise to me. But that's why these Battles must be done. *Sometimes the underdog doesn't know it's a damn show and thinks it's a damn fight!

    * hat-tip to Apollo Creed's trainer.

    ~ Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me too. I figured there'd be two sides, but not just two votes.
      Funny you should mention boxing. I recently watched a documentary about how (why?) George Foreman starting selling little grills..."I've seen George Foreman shadowboxing, and the shadow won,"

      Delete
  3. Diedre,

    Your battle is as lopsided as mine. I thought Joe would do better than this. What a surprise! I enjoyed the song share. It's really nice since I don't know much about the Richard Marx. Thanks for sharing how your battle went down. I do have a mid-month battle in progress, if you have time to join the fun then please stop by!

    Thank you for your warm words of comfort when my daddy passed. Life will resume to normal soon but it's slow going. Blessings to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be by to check your mid-month battle, Cathy ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?

BOTB May 2024 - Results

  Hello, Everyone!  Many thanks to all who participated in my “Here Comes the Sun” Battle of the Bands for May! Here are the results:   Rich...