Monday, April 15, 2024

BOTB April 15, 2024 - Every kinda People

 


Hey, hi! Glad you stopped by ;-)

The Battle of The Bands (BOTB) is your basic Which-do-you-like-best contest where the one that gets the most votes wins. All you have to do is show up (the 1st and/or 15th of every month) give a listen and cast your vote in the comment section. Votes will be tallied and the winner revealed on or about 8 days later.

After noting quite a few members of BOTB have posted for a second time this month, and since I kinda had a post in mind…How’s your day going?

 My “For The Birds” theme is still on the line as I focus instead on a song I heard last year during an AMC critically acclaimed Crime/Drama series episode. After spending literally months trying to find the song's origin, I finally tracked it down to dapper-dresser Robert Palmer, who first released the song (written by Andy Fraser) in March 1978.



Next: The song was so popular that the first of many covers (Joe Cocker gave it a try but couldn't hold a candle) was recorded within a decade. Here’s one by Mint Juleps:

 


There you have it, folks! Which do you like best? And how come? Let me know in the comment section below. Oh! And, before you go, hop around and see the rest of today’s battles (participating sites are located in the top right sidebar of this page)

 “I love America but I can’t spend the whole year here; I can’t afford the taxes.” ~ Mick Jagger

Have a wonderful April, Everybody!

See you soon!

 

12 comments:

  1. I still like Robert Palmer's version because it sounds a bit...sad which, I think, is in keeping with the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert Palmer is the only person I can think of that could do this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, John
      I agree, Robert Palmer had a way of singing his heart out ;-) Another vote for the stylistic trailblazer - thanks!

      Delete
  3. dIEDRE, dIEDRE - Oh!-Oh!

    It's me, it's me, it's Stephen T.!

    I has a question: What kinda people does it take to make the world go 'round?

    I didn't think I knew this song, but when Robert Palmer got to the chorus, I realized that indeed I had heard this song before. Dang! I just looked him up and Robert Palmer had 9 Top 40 hit songs. I didn't realize he'd been that popular back in the day.

    This was a pretty close call for me. I liked the percussion in the Palmer version and the trumpet in the Mint Juleps' rendition. However, only because I generally prefer male vocalists to female vocalists, I'm voting for Robert.

    Mi hermano, Judge Al Bondigas, happened to be in the room when I played these two songs, so I asked him which one he preferred. He said that it was pretty much six-of-one and half-a-dozen of the other. But because he liked the harmonizing by the Mint Juleps, he decided bring his gavel down and make a rulin' in their favor.

    So there you has it:
    1 for R.P. and
    1 for The M.J.s.

    dIEDRE, have you ever had a mint julep? I had one once at Churchill Downs, where they run the Kentucky Derby. I figured if there's one place in the whole world where they really know how to make a mint julep it would be at Churchill Downs. (Unfortunately, all the horses I bet on ran out of the money that day, but the drink was goot!)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It takes todo tipo de personas, amigo Stephen T.!
      When I looked him up for this song, I had no idea Robert Palmer was the same guy who did "Addicted to Love" and "Didn't mean to turn you on", though it kinda figures ;-)
      Nope, never had a Mint Julep. I looked at pictures this morning and it seems to go quite well with the Churchill atmosphere. I appreciate your vote for Mr. Palmer, y muchisimo gracias a su hermano tambien.

      Delete
  4. I don't remember this song. I like everything about Robert Palmer's song best. I loved the bongos and guitar in his song that seemed perfect. Please give my vote to Robert Palmer!

    I don't have a battle running this time, darlin'! But, I will on the first. See ya then if not before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! I might not have heard of it either, if not for the TV series I happened to hear it on. I couldn't get it out of my mind. Thanks for your vote, my dear!
      I'll be round to see ya soon.

      Delete
  5. VOTE = ROBERT PALMER

    I like the smooth island vibe of Robert Palmer's rendition; and I could understand every word. The Mint Juleps were fun. I kind of dug the more electronic accompaniment. But Robert's was more organic and authentic, to me.

    ~Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ed! Yeah, that "island sound" was pretty much his trademark. Unless you hear how he does with some of those oldie Motown songs.
      Thanks for your vote!

      Delete
  6. Hi diedre! This is a new one, to me. Thanks for the introduction. Robert Palmer strikes all the right notes, as far as I'm concerned. Funny Mick Jagger quote! Who would ever believe he can't afford something? ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! Robert Palmer is not doing so bad this round ;-) That is funny to think Mick Jagger might not be able to afford something. His great-grandkids are probably set for life :-)

      Delete

Your thoughts?

BOTB April 15, 2024 - Every kinda People

  Hey, hi! Glad you stopped by ;-) The Battle of The Bands (BOTB) is your basic Which-do-you-like-best contest where the one that gets the ...