Sunday, September 1, 2024

BOTB September 2024 The Summer Wind

 


Hey, hi! Glad you stopped by ;-)

The Battle of The Bands (BOTB) is your basic Which-do-you-like-best contest where the one that gets the most votes wins. All you have to do is show up (the 1st of every month) give a listen and cast your vote in the comment section. Votes will be tallied and the winner revealed on or about the 8th day of the month.

Can you believe we’re into the month of September already?  For me, it’s the time of year when the sighs of Back to School blues are blown asunder and out from under the stay-with-me tugs of yesterday’s fun, just out of reach of tomorrow’s promise with passage provided most assuredly by The Summer Wind. The song I’ve chosen for this month’s Battle of The Bands was composed by Heinz Meier, lyrics by Johnny Mercer, and first recorded by Wayne Newton in 1965, followed by Bobby Vinton and Perry Como. However, the most popular version was recorded by Frank Sinatra in 1966.  Here’s a reminder if you need it:

The Summer Wind ~Frank Sinatra

And here are the contenders:  Emmy Rossum and Curtis Stigers

·       






There you have it folks! Enjoy the festivities! I appreciate everyone coming by to give a listen and cast a vote in the comment section. Stop by the links of other participants (located in righthand sidebar) if ya would 😉

 

 

 

16 comments:

  1. VOTE = CURTIS STIGERS

    For me, his rendition is much smoother and more lively, which may be attributable to the more robust instrumentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what happened to my first reply (?) but it seems the way it goes these days ;-)
      One vote for Stigers - thanks Ed!

      Delete
  2. How is it September already?! I remember Frank's rendition and am drawn to Curtis Stigers' jazzy interpretation. Emmy's voice just didn't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stigers' version was pretty jazzy wasn't it?
      That's two for Stigers, thanks Debbie!

      Delete
  3. Can't believe it's September already! Where does the time go?

    I'm voting for Curtis Stiger

    No reason just preferred the male voice for this one.

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this is a fabulous September for you Mary!
      This and a couple other songs ( for instance, Moon River) just sort of require a male voice. I fully understand - and appreciate your vote!
      That's three for Stigers ;-)

      Delete
  4. I'll go with Emily Rossum on this. The key to singing a song made famous by Frank Sinatra is not to sound like Sinatra when you do it. Curtis Stigers, while very good, made that mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you on not just being the next one to sing the same song ;-)
      A vote for Emmy - thanks, John!

      Delete
  5. The Stigers version was more like the Sinatra arrangement and it was really good. However there was something special about Emmy's version that I really connected with.
    I vote for her.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both versions too ;-)
      That's two for Emmy - thanks, Lee!

      Delete
  6. dIEDRE ~

    Really terrific song. One of my very, very favorites by Sinatra. (And I guessed right about what song you'd be using today!)

    I thought that Emmy Rossum seemed to have a pretty nice voice. But, honestly, the song was so slowed down and lacked all of the "lilt" which is what puts the "wind" in the 'Summer Wind'.

    Sure, Curtis Stigers' approach to the song, and the Old School musical arrangement, made it sound a lot more like the Sinatra version. But... Sinatra's version is what I like best. So, naturally, I preferred his 'Bigger Band' rendition.

    Incidentally, Judge Al Bondigas ruled for Stigers also. He wasn't sure he'd ever heard the song before (so he had no preconceived idea of how it "should" sound), and he said that it was pretty close, but he still ruled for the dude.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for guessing right ;-) There really are only a few passable covers that almost outdo Sinatra. Almost.
      Two more for Stigers - thanks guys!

      Delete
  7. I like Emmy Rossum who made this song her own and carried it well. Curtis sounded too much like Sinatra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with Emmy's acting talents and was pleasantly surprised she can sing too;-)
      Another vote for Emmy - thanks, Birgit!

      Delete
  8. It surprises me to say, I preferred Emmy Rossum because normally I like male vocalists better. Not that Curtis was bad but he sounded like an old Vegas crooner and while that's also not bad, it's just it really didn't capture the song title like I would expect. Emmy's voices felt soothing and I felt the passage of time slipping by with her soft vocals making the whole song kind of light feeling. It made me feel good. Give my vote to Emmy, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the same feeling from Emmy as you did ;-) And with your vote, she narrows the gap! Thanks, Cathy!

      Delete

Your thoughts?

BOTB September 15, 2024 Full Moon Rising

  I may have mentioned I’m somewhat of a lunatic when it comes to lunar events. We’re due for a full Harvest moon (my favorite!) this coming...