Sunday, July 23, 2023

C'mon People Now

 This has been an incredibly trying month for screenwriters, actors, and all the important (and nearly invisible) people who keep costumes cleaned, lighting and sound just right, fresh flowers in vases, candy dishes refilled, schedule keepers, and deadline meeters.

It hasn’t been much easier for folks in the music industry.

Appearing on the broody “Blue-eyed soul” music scene in 2017 with his independently released single “Bruises,” Irish singer-songwriter Lewis Capaldi became the first artist to sell out an arena tour before the release of an album. In 2019, “Someone you loved” became the breakthrough single that charted in 29 countries. The song reached #1 on Billboard Hot 100s, making him the first Scottish solo artist to top the US charts since Sheena Easton in 1981. Capaldi achieved 4 more #1 hits before announcing he would be taking an extended, indefinite break from touring due to a recent diagnosis of Tourette’s syndrome, a debilitating bout of which led to adoring concertgoers finishing his performance for him last month at the Glastonbury Festival.



Country music star Jason Aldean is no stranger to controversy. But he is a survivor of the deadliest mass shooting in American history in 2017 at the Las Vegas Route 91 Music Harvest Festival. Aldean was performing onstage when the shooting began, and like most everyone else, he thought the sounds he heard were fireworks signaling the end of the concert. The 3-time winner of the ACM Entertainer of the Year award (2016-2018) is now being chastised for his latest release, “Try That in a Small Town” (lead single from his upcoming 11th album). In fact, CMT removed the music video from rotation; while the AMA played pre-recorded footage of Aldean performing, ABC refused to show the video for the CMA Fest. Meanwhile, Billboard reports record plays. Apparently, honest response and references to actual news footage of crimes and violence on American streets makes Aldean an inciter of vigilantism, a promoter of violence. He should know better, they say. He’s probably racist, they quip. Eye-roll.  



And just yesterday, the music world lost another icon. At 95 years old, Tony Bennett made the Guinness World Record for the oldest person ever to release an album of new material.  Among the American jazz and Pop singer’s many accolades were 20 Grammy awards and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.



Do you have a favorite artist or thoughts you'd like to share?

8 comments:

  1. Diedre,

    Although, I've heard the Lewis Capaldi song, I know very little about the artist. I think I will check out more of his music. I'm super glad that you featured Jason Aldean. When you voice your opinion that goes against the left in the least even without mention of race, sex, or religion then they label it as racists. Oh please! Could it be the left are racists based solely on the news footage? The left are so two-faced it's not funny. They call others what they themselves are. I'm sorry, I'm ranting a bit. When I heard about all of the backlash the crazy left, MSM, and social media outlets were giving Jason all I wanted to do was support him. It doesn't matter what side of the party fence you sit on. As a conservative American we need to protect our everyone of our rights and freedom of speech is really under attack unless you are regurgitating the same propaganda brain washing others
    then you're left along. Oops, I'm ranting again. I betcha wish I'd be quiet. :) Alright nuff said on this.

    It was sad to learn of Tony Bennett's passing. Are there any of the old crooners left? I loved the sound, He lived a long life. My daddy turned 85 a couple of weeks ago, he said he wants to make it to see 100. His mother, dad, and all of his siblings have passed. He lived more years than any of them, so he might just live to see his 100th birthday.

    You're welcome to join the 4M party, if you want. No pressure but it's meant for anyone who has music to share. ;) Have a boogietastic week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy!
      Sorry, things got a bit hectic after a long-awaited storm wrought havoc for a couple of my clients ...
      Your "rant" was refreshing, my dear ;-) We should all probably speak up more often. Lord knows others have no problem spouting whatever passes for truth in their world...
      I think about joining 4M every time I visit. Then I remember how quickly best laid plans get changed and don't want to be "that flighty girl" ha! Nonetheless, I'm still thinking about it ;-)

      Delete
  2. I feel bad for Lewis Capaldi and hope he can continue his career. Such a talented singer!

    As for the Jason Aldean controversy, I abhor censorship as much as I do the politicizing of artistic works! More than anything else, art is subjective. Everyone has the right to like and support it, or dislike and ignore it, but nobody should have the right to censor it!

    R.I.P. Mr. Bennett. He was a true icon and we’ll miss him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      Oh, I do as well. When the massive crowd finished the song as Lewis Capaldi struggled my heart just broke for him.
      As for Jason Aldean, I guess "Live and let live" went out the window when hatred became trendy.
      Would that a simple smile, as Mr. Bennett infers in the song, could make life worthwhile again -- for everyone.
      Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. dEAR dIEDRE ~

    Hey, I'm glad to see you branching out with other non-BOTB stuffs on this blog-a-roo!

    >>... Capaldi achieved 4 more #1 hits before announcing he would be taking an extended, indefinite break from touring due to a recent diagnosis of Tourette’s syndrome, a debilitating bout of which led to adoring concertgoers finishing his performance for him last month at the Glastonbury Festival.

    Just reading that dern-near brought a tear to my eye.

    >>... He’s probably racist, they quip. Eye-roll.

    Ha! I loves me a well-placed eye-roll!

    I'm not real crazy about Aldean's song (it just sounds so much like we'd been there and done that for at least twenty-five years), but I can certainly understand and appreciate the sentiment.

    >>... Do you have a favorite artist or thoughts you'd like to share?

    I do have thoughts I'd like to share, but... I don't want to get cancelled, canned, or shadow-banned.

    My favorite artist is The Sex Pistols. Either them or The Carpenters. They were so much alike that I always have a difficult time trying to decide between them.

    Huh? Oh, you mean seriously?
    I don't normally do "seriously", but for you, I will make an exception...

    Favorite artist (of the Musical variety) is Glenn Miller.
    Even I'm not quite sure how I got from Styx in 1975 to Glenn Miller in 1990 and beyond. Miracles happen.

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Stephen T!
      I hope no one feels obligated to come around, but I'm very pleased they do ;-)
      I doubt Aldean would have garnered so much attention if he hadn't highlighted heinous hijinks.
      "Lady" is one of my favorite songs by Styx. Glenn Miller was as welcome a sound (between two G-mas) in the house as Roger Miller. Dueling personalities led me to like them all - including Steve Miller ;-)
      Miracles do happen!

      Delete
    2. I intended to (but neglected to) mention that if I were the president of this country, my first act in office would be to sign an Executive Order declaring that NO ONE could graduate from high school without first seeing the movie 'BLAZING SADDLES' and passing a test on it.

      For extra credit, I would add some Jeff Dunham videos.

      This country needs to rediscover a sense of humor and dial the hypersensitivity all way down to 10.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    3. Jeff Dunham and friends is hilarious! Hard to choose a favorite. Maybe Peanut ;-)

      Delete

Your thoughts?

BOTB May 2024 - Results

  Hello, Everyone!  Many thanks to all who participated in my “Here Comes the Sun” Battle of the Bands for May! Here are the results:   Rich...