Tuesday, August 1, 2023

BOTB August 2023 Kentucky - Weird and Wonderful

 


Hey, hi! Glad you stopped by ;-)

The Battle of The Bands (BOTB) is your basic Which-do-you-like-best contest, where the one that gets the most votes wins. All you have to do is show up (the 1st and/or 15th of every month), give a listen and cast your vote in the comment section. Votes will be tallied and the winner revealed on or about 8 days later.

How're you doing? Surviving the summer okay?

I decided to head east before heading west. Kentucky is a fascinating state! But, as this is a Battle of the Bands post, I'll try to curb my enthusiasm for tourism.

Popular for bourbon whiskey, milk is the state beverage ;-) Just like 21 other states. Also like other states are some very strange laws. For instance, every citizen of Kentucky is required to shower once a year. Women must obtain permission from their husbands to purchase a hat. Perhaps this explains the extravagant headwear you see in Louisville, the home of the Kentucky Derby, aka "The most exciting two minutes in sports," since any self-respecting Kentucky woman would want to make an impression on Derby Day ;-) Go big or stay home, ladies!



 "Post-it Notes" (for when that pesky "check engine" sign lights up on your dash) were designed and are still produced in Cynthiana.

Vent Haven Museum in Ft. Mitchell claims to have the largest collection of ventriloquist dummies in the world. MC McC will never believe I’d already started this post before he mentioned Jeff Dunham;-)

Beginning with the very first one in 1981, every Corvette in the world has been manufactured in Bowling Green, KY.

Lexington is home to the world's largest (Jif!) peanut butter production plant.

Cumberland Falls is the only place in the western hemisphere where you can see a Moonbow. I'd go there just for that ;-)

The "Father of Bluegrass," Bill Monroe, was born on a farm near Rosine, Kentucky. But he's not a contender in this battle. Neil Diamond didn't make the cut this time either, though he wrote and originally recorded Kentucky Woman in 1967. Instead, I'm offering covers of the song by (I dare say) two highly capable artists/bands.

First up: One of the pioneers of country music's Outlaw Movement - Waylon Jennings



Next: This British rock band made the 1975 Guinness Book of World Records for the "Globe's loudest band" for a 1972 concert where they performed at London's Rainbow Theater" - Deep Purple


There you have it, folks! Which do you like best? And how come? Let me know in the comment section below. Oh! And, before you go, hop around and see the rest of today’s battles (participating sites are located in the top right sidebar of this page)


18 comments:

  1. Hey Diedre,

    Cumberland Falls isn't too far from Knoxville. For years, we've wanted to see the Moonbow but usually the best time to witness this is in the winter on a work evening or the threat of cloudy skies. Perhaps one day, we'll be fortunate to see this first hand.

    I'm think I'm going with DEEP PURPLE in this battle round. My battle is now live here. Have a bandtastic day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy,
      I do hope you make it to Cumberland Falls one day. I know what you mean though, I spent several summers just a few blocks from Disneyland and never entered the gates.
      A vote for Deep Purple it is!

      Delete
    2. Diedre,

      We have been to Cumberland Falls, but just haven't caught the Moonbow event. I wasn't very clear on that, was I? lol I know what you're talking about though. We've been in Knoxville for 43 years and it absolutely amazes us when we learn of someone here who hasn't visited the Smoky's which is an hour drive south. How can that be? I'm curious do you regret not having gone to Disneyland? As much I hate the direction that Disney has turned, the kid in me still would like a chance to visit there someday. Not for the amusement rides but the magic. :)

      Delete
  2. I like Kentucky a lot. Been through the state many times, but never done much of a deep dive into the attractions of the state. Some day maybe.

    Recently I watched a TV show about the Vent Haven museum and the annual ventriloquist convention they hold there every year. I enjoy vent art, but not a huge fan. But I do like watching a good vent act.

    I used to listen to the Deep Purple album a lot and it brings back many good memories. Their version of "KW" is not my favorite, but I do like it.

    The Waylon version was new to me and I really liked the sound of it. His version is more like what I think the song should sound like.

    Give my vote to Waylon Jennings.

    Lee


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,
      Don't laugh, but I didn't even catch the clue "Vent" in the museum's name until I read your comment ;-) I was just curious as to why there would be so many dummies in Kentucky.
      As often as we heard Deep Purple I still always thought of Neil Diamond for this song. Maybe it got more airplay.
      A vote for Waylon Jennings it is!

      Delete
    2. According to the show I watched about Vent Haven, the museum was opened where it was because a master craftsman of vent figure making did his work. Ventriloquists typically don't like to refer to their characters as "dummies" and usually call them figures.

      But there might be a lot of dummies not just in Kentucky, but everywhere.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I like this song and heard it by another band or singer but can't recall right now, who. I will go with Deep Purple because I love their great rock sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for Deep Purple. Thank you, Birgit!

      Delete
  4. Hi diedre! Thanks for those interesting factoids about Kentucky. Our adopted rescue dog, Zoey, is from there, but I've never been. Those Derby hats rival anything the British Royal Family has worn. What a hoot! ☺

    As for your battle, I love Neil Diamond, and his original is firmly engrained in my memory banks. Ordinarily, I would pick rock over country. However, I found Deep Purple's rendition a bit jarring. Please give my vote (surprisingly!) to Waylon Jennings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie!
      Zoey is from Kentucky? Cool! I always figured the idea for the Derby hats came from folks across the pond ;-) I have a few myself - for crazy hat parties. From one true Diamond fan to another, you made a good choice, my friend. Another vote for Waylon!

      Delete
  5. It's definitely Waylon for me. It just sounded better to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Mary! And Waylon is ahead by a vote;-)

      Delete
  6. dEAR dIEDRE ~

    I enjoy'd your Fun Facts about Kentucky.

    I know this makes me politically incorrect (what else is new?) but I love The South & Kentucky.

    What's so great about Kentucky? Well, for starters, the greatest Bourbon in the world! (Not that I particularly like Bourbon, but... I brush my teeth every morning with 'Wild Turkey 101' and then rinse my mouth out with 'Evan Williams' Bottled-In-Bond.)

    Also, I have family connections to Kentucky (e.g., one Grandma -- my *favorite* -- was from Covington, Kentucky; and my Ma grew up in Cincinnati, which is just a stone's throw across the Ohio River from Covington). I have witnessed horse races and had a Mint Julep at Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby.

    I was familiar with *BOTH* of these recordings. In fact, when I was a teenager (and was still drinking Tennessee whiskey, not yet having graduated to Kentucky Bourbon), I actually had Deep Purple's 'Kentucky Woman' on an LP (remember those?)

    Although the electric organ is my all-time favorite musical instrument... I'm voting for MR. JESSI COLTER, as you knew I would. I am an Outlaw thru-an'-thru! (I saw Waylon perform live 4 times and the first time I saw him was my favorite concert of all time, even though I had to stand for the entire show because my girlfriend and I were too late to get seats in that small club.)

    My brother, JUDGE AL BONDIGAS, was in the room while I listened to your song cherces and he said that he was also "RULIN' FER THE OUTLAW, WAYLON".

    Side Note: I would like to know who that woman is pretending to be 'Debbie D.' and find out what she has done with the *REAL* Debbie! Not for one second do I believe that the Debbie D'Doglady we all know and love would vote for Waylon Jennings over Deep Purple. (Honestly, I don't think you should count her vote in your final tally, because she is *obviously* an imposter!)

    ~ D-FensDogG (the *real* one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I was as surprised as you are, Stephen. And yet, it's really me. ☺ I love Deep Purple but this cover didn't thrill me.

      Delete
    2. "Inconceivable!" Miracles happen and wonders never cease! I'll always remain a shade skeptical, but I'll take your word for it...
      (whoever you are :^D ).

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    3. I guess we're both incorrect and unabashed, Stephen. I didn't want to get too far off the BOTB track or I'd have mentioned that Kentucky is home to more barrels of maturing bourbon than people ;-)
      I'd love to see Churchill Downs one day.
      Deep Purple LPs? I bet there are still a couple stashed away with the turntable we used to play them on ;-) For some reason, songs like "Hush", "Space Truckin", and "Smoke on the water" come much more readily to mind than "Kentucky Woman" but it seemed to work well for this battle.
      Two more votes for Waylon the Outlaw it is! Thank you and your brother the judge.

      Delete
  7. I liked them both but I think I could only listen to the Waylon Jennings one more than once so that's my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vote for the Front-Runner. Thank you, Christine ;-)

      Delete

Your thoughts?

BOTB May 2024 - Results

  Hello, Everyone!  Many thanks to all who participated in my “Here Comes the Sun” Battle of the Bands for May! Here are the results:   Rich...