Wednesday, November 1, 2023

BOTB November 2023

 


Hey, hi! Glad you stopped by ;-)

The Battle of The Bands (BOTB) is your basic Which-do-you-like-best contest where the one that gets the most votes wins. All you have to do is show up (the 1st and/or 15th of every month) give a listen and cast your vote in the comment section. Votes will be tallied and the winner revealed on or about 8 days later.

As I mentioned last time, when it comes to predicting battle outcomes, my judgment seems to be “For the birds.” While I pondered this dilemma one morning as cartoons droned on TV after the local news, it occurred to me that the roadrunner might be the smartest bird that ever raced across the desert with Wile E Coyote in full, yet futile pursuit. It was as I considered all the smart birds I knew that a BOTB theme came to me. If you guessed birds, you’re right! But not The Byrds or the Eagles or even Counting Crows. At least, not yet ;-)

First up is a song by Nellie Furtado, who divulged in an interview that her favorite birds are crows because they like shiny things as much as she does.




Next up is a song that very few people haven’t heard ;-) from Bob Marley and the Wailers' ninth album. It has an uplifting refrain that Marley said he heard the birds sing from his porch every morning.




There you have it, folks! Which do you like best? And how come? Let me know in the comment section below. Oh! And, before you go, hop around and see the rest of today’s battles (participating sites are located in the top right sidebar of this page)

Fun Facts:

Wally Amos was responsible for making more than just cookies famous. Indeed, he was also a talent rep for musical acts such as Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, and Sam Cooke. And that was after he discovered and signed the folk duo Simon and Garfunkel ;-) 





16 comments:

  1. Interesting battle with such diverse entries! As a Canadian artist, Nelly Furtado's song got played to death on the radio here and I never really cared for it to begin with. Bob Marley's song also got plenty of airplay, but it's so uplifting and catchy, what's not to like? Marley for the win! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with birds so you got my attention right away.

    Both songs are very good. I do like Furtado's voice a lot as well as her style. However, in this contest I'm going to go with Bob Marley since my oldest granddaughter was named Marley in deference to the musical artist. Now she is pursuing her own musical ambitions.

    A vote for Bob Marley.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I was afraid you'd all hate the idea ;-)
      Glad to hear your Marley is in music.
      A second vote for Bob - thanks, Lee!

      Delete
  3. Cool theme idea! I prefer Bob Marley in this round simply because his song is so upbeat sounding. Stop by when you can to vote in my battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I just stopped by your place - great artist matchup btw. Another vote for Bob - thank you, my dear.

      Delete
  4. I remember when Nelly Furtado released this song. At first I thought it was really bizarre, then it grew on me... And then it was overplayed.

    Bob Marley always brings a smile to my face.

    Giving all my votes to Bob Marley

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My thoughts exactly about Nelly's song. One of the stations here still plays it a lot.
      Gotta love that Jamaican reggae ;-) A vote for Bob from the lady with the smile on her face!

      Delete
  5. You know..I don't care for either to be honest but I'm giving this to Bob Marley because it's the better of both songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your candor, my dear ;-) As well as yet another vote for Bob. His popularity in this Bird battle sure is soaring...

      Delete
  6. Howdy, dIEDRE ~

    I'd never heard 'I'm Like A Bird' before. In fact, I'd never even heard of Nelly Furtado. That probably doesn't come as any great surprise to you. Although I didn't really like her song, I played it twice, because I was trying to figure out who she sounds like. I could be wrong, but I came to the conclusion that she may be trying to emulate Angelique Kidjo. At least the Angelique Kidjo of the album 'Black Ivory Soul' (which I own and like quite well).

    The Bob Marley song *did* sound familiar. I believe I *have* heard that one before, but not a great many times. I liked that one better than the first one.

    >>... It has an uplifting refrain that Marley said he heard the birds sing from his porch every morning.

    Well, when you're a big star, you can afford to smoke the best! ;^D

    A 'Bird' theme? Now how come Arlee Boid never thought of that?! (Is Lynyrd Skynyrd coming soon to a blog near us? :^)

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm not as surprised that you'd never heard of Nelly as I am that you like Angelique - ha! Just goes to show you can never tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump ;-)

      Speaking of length, Skynyrd is on my list but the duration of the song may disqualify them. It will be a tough decision. So...you don't hate the idea?

      I appreciate your vote for Three Little Birds!

      Delete
    2. HA! So, in the spirit of full disclosure, I had never heard of Angelique Kidjo either, until a friend of mine bought her album 'Black Ivory Soul' for me. I didn't love it right out of the chute (to borrow a rodeo term) but I warmed up to it a great deal and still play it occasionally all these many, many years later. If the album had not been a gift, I'm sure I'd *still* have no idear who Angelique Kidjo is.

      Sure and begorrah I likes your bird theme. I mean, why wouldn't I? Other than the fact that they poop on everything, I like birds well enough. I like 'em better'n cats. (But not as much as dogs... Big to midsized dogs, to be more specific. I like Chihuahuas about as much as I like cats.)

      In fact, if you ever need a bird song in a hurry, let me know. I've got one that I have enjoyed listening to since the day after I graduated from high school, and it's so obscure that *no one* (other than myself) will be familiar with it.

      ~ Wile E. Coyote & The Dynamite ACME Band

      Delete
    3. That obscure, huh? Now I'm intrigued ;-) It's not a theme song, is it?

      Delete
  7. Is 'Disco Duck' a theme song?

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?

BOTB May 2024 - Results

  Hello, Everyone!  Many thanks to all who participated in my “Here Comes the Sun” Battle of the Bands for May! Here are the results:   Rich...