Monday, July 1, 2024

BOTB July 2024 American Girl



 


Hey, hi! Glad you stopped by ;-)

The Battle of The Bands (BOTB) is your basic Which-do-you-like-best contest where the one that gets the most votes wins. All you have to do is show up (the 1st of every month) give a listen and cast your vote in the comment section. Votes will be tallied and the winner revealed on or about the 8th day of the month.

In honor of the Fourth of July, we dodged the last- minute traffic and hit the road for the mountains before the half-day workers had a chance to fill out their PTO forms, while the blacktop temperature was still just below that of molten lava.

The song I’ve chosen for this month’s Battle of The Bands is from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers first album and while it was never really a hit, it was undeniably one of their most popular songs. Despite the urban myth about the song being about a suicidal young woman, Petty said it was not. He also said it wasn’t even as patriotic as many assumed, though the track was cut on the 4th of July. Whether Tom Petty meant it as patriotic or not, it works for this American Girl!  Here’s a reminder if you need it:

American Girl ~ Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers


And here are the contenders:

 

Dierks Bentley

 


 

Troubadour Project

 


 

 There you have it folks! Enjoy the festivities! I appreciate everyone coming by to give a listen and cast a vote in the comment section. Stop by the links of other participants (located in the righthand sidebar) if ya would 😉




 


16 comments:

  1. Dierks Bentley steals my vote! His vocals are far better and more pleasing to my ears. Good battle, Diedre. Have a bandtastic week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vote for Dierks - Thank you, Cathy! Happy July ;-)

      Delete
  2. Appropriate choice for the holiday! ☺ Happy 4th of July to you, diedre. We are celebrating Canada Day today.

    I've never heard a cover of this one before, and Tom's version is deeply ingrained, so it took a couple of listens. In the end, I preferred Dierks Bentley's vocals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two for Dierks. Thanks, Debbie! Happy July!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed them both, but the vocals from Troubadour Project really drove it home for me. A vote for Troubadour Project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One for the Troubadour Project! Thank you, Mary!

      Delete
  4. Both are good and, even if Dierk's voice is more accomplished, I like the Troubadour's version better. They made it sound a bit Hill Billy and it appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for the hillbilly sound of Troubadour Project! Thanks, Birgit!

      Delete
  5. VOTE = DIERKS BENTLEY

    I liked both of these versions, but the tie-breaker for me was the bluegrass jam in the Dierks Bentley version. Troubadour's jam was okay, too; but the fiddle/banjo/mandolin in Dierks' version got me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Dierks is up by a bluegrass jam! Thanks, Ed ;-)

      Delete
  6. dEAR dIEDRE ~

    First off, I gotta say that I have always been a big fan of Tom Petty's music and 'American Girl' would certainly be on my Top 10 Tom Songs list! So, I knew I was going to dig both of these covers. Also, terrific song choice for the month of July, with Independence Day just around the corner. (And, I must mention that I really liked that photo you included at the bottom, with the guy hanging musical notes on the electrical wires. Very clever idea!)

    Well, as I knew I would, I enjoyed BOTH of these cover songs, but I think I slightly preferred the TROUBADOUR PROJECT, for the greater energy, and the idea of a gal singing about an American Girl.

    My brother, Judge Al Bondigas (a.k.a. Napoleon or Nappy), said he was making a rulin' for Dierks Bentley "Because".

    So, there ya go, Sister. One vote for each artist in this really excellent and tight contest!

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This song has long been a favorite of mine. Thanks for chiming in on it, Stephen :-) And Brother Al as well. Your votes keep the contenders on the on-going see-saw ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm going with Dierks Bentley on this one. I liked the sound better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have an opportunity to use a computer for a while so here I am trying to vote on all the contests.

    The Project did a good job, but Dierks gets my vote.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you, Lee! Thanks for yet another vote for Dierks. Like you, he's kinda popular around here.

      Delete

Your thoughts?

BOTB September 15, 2024 Full Moon Rising

  I may have mentioned I’m somewhat of a lunatic when it comes to lunar events. We’re due for a full Harvest moon (my favorite!) this coming...